This is what its been about this week.
I cut up some of the glass I used to make the woven fruit plate.
The colours were Ruby, Cherry Red and clear art glass. I cut them into smaller pieces and weighed them.
Then I prepared the kiln, making a “reservoir” so that the molten glass does not flow out onto my kiln floor.
Then I supported all the kiln shelf segments with kiln bricks. These bricks supported the stainless steel mesh. Because stainless steel mesh bends a lot underpressure, I put a stainless steel oven shelf between the bricks and the mesh, to help support it all.
Then I put the cleaned, weighed glass on the top of the lot!. This is what it looked like.
I then turned the kiln on and will add the details of the firing schedule if anyone asks me to. (My firing history book is at the studio and not here). But the kiln went up to 899degrees. I maintained it at 899degrees for 90 minutes to allow all the glass to drip through the mesh.
I spent a lot of time reading about suggested firing schedules on the font of all knowledge on fusing and slumping glass, that is the warmglass.com there is a “bulletin board” there and when you join, you can read everything you wanted to know about glass.
So after watching and waiting, this is what the glass looked like before I sandblasted it clean.
Now that it has all been sandblasted, the glass as well as the stainless steel mesh, I am waiting to play with the strips I have cut.experiment hot glass jenieyolland kiln glass ruby red wire melt